SwingOrama Forum Index SwingOrama
San Diego's Swing Dance Headquarters

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Swing-to-Funk-Music Workshop this Sunday @ Kava Lounge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meeshi
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Swing-to-Funk-Music Workshop this Sunday @ Kava Lounge
Sun Oct 02 2005 CDT

"Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher." -- James "Blood" Ulmer (left)

Melissa and I are excited to bring to you our first-ever SWING-TO-FUNK-MUSIC workshop this Sun. Oct. 2nd at the Kava Lounge. Why swing dance to funk music? Because funk music is fun and expressive, and it is the direct descendant of jazz/blues music in America. In fact, funk music combines aspects of a wide range of black musical traditions: the blues, R&B, soul, progressive jazz, African percussion, and psychedelic rock. So if we can swing dance to the blues, we can swing dance to da funk.

Our 90-min. workshop (7:00-8:30p) will be an introduction to how to adapt your swing dancing to better fit funk music. The cost: only $10 (includes admission to the Kava dance). Here are some of the topics we'll address:

1) How funk music is structured similarly (polyrhythmic layering, call-and-response) and differently ("on the one" vs. shuffle beats, percussive vs. melodic lines) from jazz/swing music

2) How to alternate between a soft, laid back dance style (West-Coast-feel) and a hard, attacking dance style (Charleston/Salsa-feel)

3) How to incorporate FUNK breakaways and maintain a connection even when you are not touching your partner

We hope you will join us this Sunday to explore a new way to swing dance with your partner. After the workshop, we'll be playing swing and funk music all night long with DJs Gage & Brian featuring some New Orleans funk from the Neville Brothers (pic middle) and the Funky Meters (pic right). We look forward to seeing you there!

This Sun. Oct. 2nd: Funk'n'Swing night at Soul Swingers!

6:00p-7:00p - Int. Swing Choreography Class
7:00p-8:30p - "Swing to Funk Music" Workshop with Meeshi and Mel
$10/workshop (includes FREE admission to the dance).
8:30p-12mid - $5/dance (2-for-1 for CafeSavoy Swing Students and VIPs).
Organic Chocolate Fondue Bar Upstairs, and all the Sake you can drink.

Questions: Call Meeshi at 858-395-6060 or sirdancealot@cox.net

Directions: The Kava Lounge is located at 2812 Kettner Blvd. between Olive and Palm. From I-5, exit Sassafras, heading south on Kettner. Pass Sassafras, pass Alamo Car Rental on right (blue sign), next block is Palm. Head past electrical plant, Kava is the next building on the right.

For more info/directions to the Kava Lounge, visit:

http://www.cafesavoy.com/kavalounge.html

Always A Student
Rhythm Circle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No funk session is complete without Lee Dorsey. I assume we will be able to delight in his sound as well?
Meeshi
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always A Student wrote:
No funk session is complete without Lee Dorsey. I assume we will be able to delight in his sound as well?

Yes, Lee Dorsey is from New Orleans, but I wouldn't go so far as to classify his music as funk. From the stuff I've heard, his music is straight ahead 60's R&B. And as I've discovered in my recent research on Funk music, Funk and Jazz/R&B have very different rhythmic structures.

In 1965, there was the Funk Revolution. James Brown was essentially an R&B singer until he released "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" in 1965. Popular music has never been the same since. As James Brown once said in an interview with Funk historian, Rickey Vincent:

"That was the turnaround song. It turned everybody around. Because I went on the one and three as opposed to the music being written on the two and four. I took gospel and jazz and defied all the laws."

Since WWII, the standard hi-hat rhythm in jazz/R&B drumming had been the light, shuffling "to-the-one" beat: da dat, da dat, da dat, da dat, etc. The "new" Funk hi-hat rhythm introduced by James Brown in 1965 was an heavy, pulsing "on-the-one" beat: domp, domp, domp, domp. According to Funk historian, Rickey Vincent, this heavy "on-the-one" beat gives more space for funk musicians to build rhythmic tension around each beat, thus creating that deep, earthy, groovin' feel.

Lindy Hop was created around the hi-hat shuffle beat (hence the origin of the triple step). Funk music doesn't have a shuffle beat, so it's difficult for swing dancers to make that transition from swing to funk music. Adjustments have to be made. Either take out the triple steps (Charleston/Salsa) or triple-step in half-time (West Coast).

Note: We will be covering these both of these adjustments in our Swing-to-Funk workshop this Sunday. Shameless plug!

Last edited by Meeshi on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:05 pm GMT; edited 2 times in total
Always A Student
Rhythm Circle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "on-the-one" detail is important because it differentiates itself from rhythm of jazz which is a steady meter on 2 & 4.

I still think Lee Dorsey has funkiness to him.
Meeshi
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, his music does have some funkiness (syncopation, groove, etc.), but structurally it's still R&B. Lou Rawls made some funky music in the 60's, but structurally it's soul-jazz. Sorry to sound so picky, but I just want to make an important distinction between funkiness and Funk Music, because it does affect the way you would dance to it. I can dance modern, groove Lindy to Lee Dorsey or Lou Rawls, I can't do it so easily with James Brown or Parliament.

Last edited by Meeshi on Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:53 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
westiehopper
Shorty George

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One difference I use when dancing to funk music is dancing an 8 count as 1,2,&3,4,5,6,&7,8 (instead of 3&4 and 7&8 ).
Meeshi
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting rhythmic adjustment, Jane, but I can't quite picture how that would work. Can you give me a song example where that rhythm would be easy to feel? Thanks.
Always A Student
Rhythm Circle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane's example seems like a modified hustle. So, maybe she is referring to a disco experience?

Sugar pushes for funk are nice. Especially when you can extend them a bit to get some stylin' in to celebrate the funkticiousness of the song.
Meeshi
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Jane, I think I figured it out. I was just listening to some funk music from the JBs and in a few of the songs the rhythm guitar was cycling a lick that went "1-2&3-4" over and over, but the 2&3 lick was pulled a little before the actual 2&3 count giving the groove some added rhythmic tension (more space between counts 3 and 4). Aargh, it's so much easier to hear/feel it than explain in words.

Thanks, Jane, for opening up my ears/body to a rhythmic feel. I'll try playing with it in my dancing.

westiehopper
Shorty George

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always A Student wrote:
Jane's example seems like a modified hustle. So, maybe she is referring to a disco experience?

Not at all. Hustle is a 6-count, &1-2-3 &4-5-6, and it doesn't actually emphasize any one beat (it fits perfectly to disco music) but stays very flat and smooth.
I dance 6-count swing patterns (using my funk count) as 1-2-&3-4-&5-6. This count feels very comfortable with most non-blues based contemporary wcs dance music and hip-hop stuff because I can solidly accent the 1,3,5,7 that you hear in the music. I am so trained in a regular swing tripple-step that I frequently dance that anyway, accenting the odd counts outside of the tripple, but when I make the adjustment to hit the odd counts it really does feel better.

westiehopper
Shorty George

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Prince does a lot of stuff on 1.
RednBubba
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Meeshi & Mel! The class was really fun, and I learned more how to "let go" and get down. I really liked the alternate pop thing and the fast swingout...1,2,3-1,2,3. You get that momentum going, and woohoo!!! ha ha!!
Anyhow, I had a great time!

Thanks to the Bizarro Twins for the dances...would have stayed longer, but I need to recover from this weekend full of dancing! Mr. Green
honeybee
Shorty George

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times Laughing My vote is in for next month.
Meeshi
Swing Charleston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for trying something a little different. It was really fun to teach with Mel again and share a style of dancing we both feel passionate about. Long live da funk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwingOrama Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: